Re: Cygwin, gdb and SEH [was RE: 1.5.19: changes have broken Qt3]

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:28:32PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 24 May 2006 19:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Or was this the person who was using the time-honored "Cygwin will be
>>much more popular if you allow people to discuss Interix" technique?
>
>Heh, yep, that was the one.  Goddam it! Why don't we want free market
>research?  Don't we want to make lots of money from selling cygwin?
>Don't we want it to be more popular and win more recruits to our cause
>than the other posix compatibility layers?  WHAT, DO YOU REALLY SAY YOU
>AREN'T ASSEMBLING AN ARMY OF LOYAL CYGWIN SOLDIERS TO CONQUER THE WORLD
>AND PUSH FORWARD THE CYGWIN FLAG?  Boy, are we ever missing out,
>losers!

Yep.  I have always tried to come up with a catch phrase to apply to this
type of argument.  Straw-Grasping-Argument-From-A-Position-Of-Impotence?
SGAFAOI?

When people resort to the "Surely cygwin will die/prosper..." and "I
thought that Open Source meant..." techniques I always wonder if they
use that kind of tactic in real life.

"I would like to know the ingredients of your secret sauce.  Surely
disseminating this information will benefit your company greatly as this
will show that you are a company who cares about providing nutritional
details and there are many people to whom that is important and they
will be more likely to buy your product."

"I thought that you were a caring individual.  Doesn't that mean that
you have to go out with me?"

>What _is_ going on this week?  The newbies seem to be of an even lower
>standard than usual.  They must be putting something in the water round
>here.....

These things seem to come in waves.  It would be interesting to plot.

cgf