Re: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:46:39PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:30:15PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>On 03 May 2006 16:59, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:12:02AM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote: Once I
>>>saw that Dave was on the case and could reproduce the problem at will,
>>>I haven't been pursuing every report of this terrifying bug because we
>>>actually do have someone investigating it.  I did try running process
>>>explorer while also running a cygwin process and did not see the
>>>problem.
>>
>>You very specifically have to bring up the properties page for the
>>process and display the "Threads" tab.  It doesn't occur (any more)
>>when you just select a process or even when you bring up the other
>>properties page tabs.
>
>I'll take your word for it.
>
>Ok.  Let me almost completely retract what I said earlier.
>
>I'm not going to actively try to fix the problem since you are currently
>working on it and I see no reason to duplicate effort.
>
>If this scenario involved Corinna and me then we would gratefully let
>the other person work on the problem.  I appreciate the fact that you
>are looking into this and have no plans on actively looking into the
>issue myself.  I may still provide a patch if an idea percolates into my
>conscious mind (and, as usual, I have been thinking about this problem),
>though.

I'm not exactly sure where to send this, since it is a unique situation,
but someone has contacted me off-list to offer to pay me to look into
this problem.  Money is always a great motivator for me, so, I've let
Dave Korn know about this and have spent some time today looking into
the problem.

I hope that I'll have a fix sometime next week.

So, I guess this means that I've retracted my retraction.  I do
appreciate the fact that Dave was looking at this very much, though.  It
really is nice to have other people besides Corinna and me looking at
the code.

If anyone is looking for something to do, it would be nice to have
another set of eyes on the snapshot problems that I mentioned in the
cygwin mailing list.

cgf