Re: A banner day

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:27:01AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 20 April 2006 07:12, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>sending off-topic messages in one form or another.
>
>>I gave each of these people 3 or 4 warnings before blocking them and,
>
>>Usually when I block someone, I block them from all of the cygwin
>>lists.  But, tonight, I have chosen to only block Gary R.  Van Sickle
>>from the cygwin-apps list.  Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, I will
>>conclude that this was a big mistake because, after all, Gary does
>>sometimes provide useful technical feedback.
>
>>Anyway, if anyone has a problem with my decision,
>
>This post is not about the rightness or wrongness of that decision in
>this particular case, but a suggestion for a half-way measure to use in
>such circumstances: if the problem is repeated OT posting, and they
>refuse to TITTTL it, which is the proper thing to do if you want to
>pursue an OT thread, then you could just as well put all their posts on
>auto-redirect to this group rather than ban them altogether.  This
>would only make sense as a temporary measure but it would let people
>get it (whatever 'it' might be on that particular occasion) out of
>their system and once the thread had finally died away the
>auto-redirect could be turned off again.

It's an interesting idea but it would involve a new facility in the
mailing list software.  I'll have to think about that.  There are one or
two things I've been meaning to add to it but I haven't felt
particularly motivated to do this sort of thing for a few months now.

And I still have that strange bzip2 problm on sourceware to track down...

cgf