RE: A banner day

On 20 April 2006 07:12, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> sending off-topic messages in one form or another.

> I gave each of these people 3 or 4 warnings before blocking them and,

> Usually when I block someone, I block them from all of the cygwin lists.
> But, tonight, I have chosen to only block Gary R.  Van Sickle from the
> cygwin-apps list.  Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, I will conclude that
> this was a big mistake because, after all, Gary does sometimes provide
> useful technical feedback.

> Anyway, if anyone has a problem with my decision,

  This post is not about the rightness or wrongness of that decision in this
particular case, but a suggestion for a half-way measure to use in such
circumstances: if the problem is repeated OT posting, and they refuse to
TITTTL it, which is the proper thing to do if you want to pursue an OT thread,
then you could just as well put all their posts on auto-redirect to this group
rather than ban them altogether.  This would only make sense as a temporary
measure but it would let people get it (whatever 'it' might be on that
particular occasion) out of their system and once the thread had finally died
away the auto-redirect could be turned off again.

    cheers,
      DaveK