Re: Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, George wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 01:11:07PM -0400, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia M. Belfiore wrote:
> >
> > > [snip]
> > > Tasha
> >
> > Well, actually, what he wrote is unimportant.  What is interesting (and
> > really unsettling to anyone who grew up in Russia) is that Natalia (or
> > Natasha) is a purely female name (c.f. "War and Peace"), and this person
> > is clearly male.
> >
> > No point here, just venting...  :-)
>
> Maybe it's Natasha just on the weekends?
>
> What may be just as interesting to those that *may* read something along
> the lines of War and Peace and similarly didn't grow up in Russia, is
> that the name Sasha is a not the name given to a female, pure or
> otherwise.  It's the dimunitive of Alexander.  Which, in English, is
> ... Alexander.

Well, actually, Sasha is both a male and a female name (kind of like Alex
in England).  The female version is Alexandra, and it is rather common in
Russia.

Natalia is a name that doesn't have a male equivalent.

> Sasha, Tasha.  Go figure.
>
> Bob's yer uncle.
>
> Actually, 'e's my aunt, but we don't talk about 'im any more.

There once was a lady named Peter...
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't continue this one. :-)

> Speaking of dimunitive, thought I'd pass along another bit of trivia.
> An rsync of a Cygwin mirror yields a whopping 2.9GB, substantially
> larger (and slower) than the 2GB figure that what was quoted in a recent
> message.

Since a decision was made to not always erase older versions of packages,
I can believe that.  If you restrict this to versions accessible via
setup.ini, you'll find that 2GB hits close to the mark (last I checked,
which wasn't very recently).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/