Re: Fixing the state of C++ in Cygwin

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:12:18AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to Eric Blake on 4/16/2006 9:52 PM:
>> (and I was just about ready to upload bash-3.1-5 when my hard drive
>> crashed yesterday; so when I respin it, I will make sure I catch this
>> issue.  Fortunately, I did not lose very mush else).
>                                           ^^^^
>
>s/mush/much/, although that was a rather humorous typo, since I sure felt
>like mush.  (I think that is also how I would feel were a hippo to be
>dropped on me).  On Saturday, after a brief power outage, I got a blue
>screen of death claiming UNMOUNTABLE_ROOT_VOLUME when trying to boot;
>nothing like that to induce sheer panic.  Fortunately, the drive itself
>was okay, it was just a filesystem crash; and running 'chkdsk /r' after
>booting off the Windows CD solved the problem after several agonizing
>hours of waiting.  Now why can't windows use fsck, or even better, a
>journaling file system that is immune to power glitches?

I've had the same problem with the same sheer panic and the same vast
release when booting with the Windows CD just fixed things.

I also had a situation a few days ago where Windows decided on its own
that it had to run chkdsk at system startup.  It fixed a bunch of stuff
and rebooted -- just like fsck.

cgf