RE: cygwin service not starting

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:48:18PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Brian Dessent wrote:

>>> This is crap.  This garbage already litters the gcc lists, and now it's
>>> here.
>>
>>  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the
>> problem on the gcc list by editing their group description to make it
>> clear that it was an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless
>> clewbies.
>>
>>  And it's damn easy to filter on 'nabble' and you wouldn't expect to get
>> many false positives....
>
> I could actually block them entirely.

  heh, I was indeed hinting at that.

> I'm not really thrilled that
> someone has set up a forum which makes it easy to send email here without
> making it clear what kind of email to send.  They do refer to lists.html
> but what died-in-the-wool cygwin user is going to stop and click on a
> link when they are burning to ask
> a question about, cron, ssh, or "cygwin service"?

  It makes you stop and think, though: gmane provides a very similar kind of
service, but we don't get clowns coming through it[*].  What is it that's so
structurally different that one breeds newbies like maggots on a rotting hippo
carcass[**], and the other seems not to?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] -- and does anyone but me remember the old early days of google groups
when you used to see newbies turning up all over the place going "Mailing
list?  What are you talking about, 'mailing list', this is a google bulletin
board isn't it?")

[**] - apologies to hippos of a nervous disposition.