RE: once more unto the breech - please try a snapshot so I can release this thing

* * wrote:
> On 1/11/06, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>> From: Dave Korn
>> [snip]
>>>   You know, it occurs to me that the english language lacks -
>>> but could greatly use - a word meaning
>>>
>>>  "That especially embarassing combination of shame and
>>> humiliation you feel on realising that your first instincts
>>> were absolutely sound and right and good, and you surpressed
>>> them against your better judgement, and went and trusted what
>>> others said, instead of your own good sense, only to discover
>>> in the end that you were right in the first place and should
>>> have trusted and had faith in yourself but lost confidence at
>>> the last moment and went along with the consensus when you
>>> should have known better that YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
>>> GODDAMMIT AND YOU ONLY MADE A FOOL OF YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU
>>> WERE TRYING TO BE NICE TO OTHER PEOPLE AND ASSUME THEY
>>> WEREN'T ALL GODDAM IDIOTS JUST FOR ONCE!"
>>>
>>>   ...excuse me, I think I was starting to shout a bit towards the end
>>> there....
>>>
>>>   Hey, Corinna, you guys invented "schadenfreude", surely
>>> /you/ must already have a word for this emotion?
>>
>> They do, but it's just a concatenation of that entire sentence, just
>> without spaces or punctuation, like most German words, and hence doesn't
>> fit on a 7x-character line.
>>
>> --
>> Gary R. Van Sickle
>>

> Auf Englisch: we might call the action (misguided) deference, and
> hence the feeling becomes "post-misguided deference symdrome" or just
> plain "self-doubt"?  That already fits comfortably on one line.

  Ah, but it's not the self-doubt to which I am alluding, but the feelings of
shame, self-loathing, embarassment, utter hatred of the entire universe, and
ennui which arise out of an occasion on which your actions have been guided by
that self-doubt.

    cheers,
      DaveK