Argument list too long

Emil Rojas emil@lapel.com
Wed Jan 5 18:20:00 GMT 2005

I am providing grep with a long list of files, e.g. 1200 files with about
80K characters.

I get the following

bash: /bin/grep: Argument list too long

If I reduce the total characters to less then 32K it works fine.  This list
is a list of the source files in a development tree retrieved with find.

I just updated to see if this announcement,

Updated: findutils-4.2.10-5,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-12/msg00207.html would fix it, but
it does not appear to do so.

I know this is not a problem under linux, and I don't remember it being a
problem in earlier versions of cygwin.  Is this a feature or a bug?  If it
is a bug, despite reading abut reporting bugs on the cygwin web site I
still am totally uncertain about how one would report this bug.  Guidance
here would be appreciated.

thanks,
eo
,