Re: fortune maintainer wanted and question for Corinna (was Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.)

On Jan  7 17:43, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
> >>What the hell is some other employee doing snooping around your computer
> >>to view these files?!? To me *that's* a hostile work environment created
> >>by the snooping employee!
> >

> >I don't really think employers would be searching for naughty fortune
> >files per se... However, workplace harassment is a big deal to large
> >companies,
> <snip>
>
> Actually, since an individual PC at my company usually has several
> sequential owners (mine gets replaced with a brand new one, so the
> technician down the hall inherits mine, and her computer goes to the
> secretary, on down the line).
>
> Now, personal (work-related, OF course) data is stored on the server.
> But "rogue" cygwin installations are on the machine's harddrive.  So,
> either I *remember* to wipe it -- or just fortune -- or Suzy Technician
> gets "my" computer WITH fortune's, er, offcolor, portions.  And she goes
> traipsing in C:\cygwin\usr\share\fortune\ (wonder what this is?) and
> goes all puritanical on my butt.
>
> And she'd have a halfway-decent legal case, too.
>
> That would not be good for me, nor for my company.
>
> Again, NOT a big deal -- I just remove fortune.  I'm not offended, nor
> upset.  But there are some things that you just don't do, in today's
> legal environment.  Even if it is silly.

If you're working in such an oppressing environment, then don't install
fortune.  Fortune is not required by any other package and it's not part
of the default install.  When you install fortune, you should know what
you're doing and you can't tell me you didn't know that the fortune
package contains some crude jokes already for ages.  They are not a
Cygwin invention and they are installed on other Distros as well when
installing fortune.

Corinna