Compiling a windows.exe against cygwin1.dll ?

I've made an executable windows program which some people want to run under
cygwin (myself included).

The problem is that the first parameter to the program is the name of a file,
which is expected by windows to be something like c:\dir\file.txt

Two problems:

- it doesn't take /cygdrive/c/dir/file.txt
- it doesn't take a symbolic link generated by cygwin's ln -s command.

Is there something I can 'borrow' from cygwin1.dll or some other dll to make my
program support these two cases ?
(The program is a command line tool written using visual C++)

Extra:

- is there something I can do to detect that my program has been started from a
cygwin prompt/screen.

Thanks in advance,

Wim.