Re: About the dll search algorithm of dlopen (patch-r3)

Hi Corinna,

> On Aug 29 11:24, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

>>> Btw., I just noticed something interesting, independently of your patch.
>>> Consider the file /usr/bin/cygz.dll:
>>>
>>> - dlopen (libz.so)            success

This one succeeds because of /usr/bin being the fallback path, but ...

>>> - dlopen (/usr/bin/libz.so)   success
>>>
>>> - dlopen (/usr/lib/libz.so)   fails
>>>
>>> That's pretty clear when looking through the code, but... wouldn't
>>> it make sense to allow that?  If a path is given, and the path points
>>> to /usr/lib, search the file in /usr/bin as well?
>>
>> Easy enough - but this should apply to any prefix IMO: While the
>> application specific prefix often isn't /usr - but something like
>> /usr/local or /opt/application, application specific libs may be
>> built & installed with libtool or something similar as well - at
>> least some tool that knows about installing the real dll into
>> <app-prefix>/bin (because of the missing Cygwin loader).
>
> You have a point there.

Thanks!

... I forgot about dlopen("libAPP.so") (without path): This I expect
to find <app-prefix>/bin/cygAPP.dll - which is the application dir.

>> But agreed, it makes sense doing /lib->/bin for the explicit path and
>> the /usr/lib default only and not for the environment-provided paths.
>
> It feels certainly more safe to restrict this to the system path for
> now.  But... yeah, you have a point.
>
> Not well thought out, just an idea kicking around:
>
> Apart from the obvious system path handling, what if other lib->bin
> transitions only take place if the calling application is installed
> in that very bin dir...?

Interesting idea - might work indeed! Even for prefix=/usr, to
have consistent behaviour across different application prefixes.

For safety regarding the application dir: If one can write to the
application dir, couldn't one put a malicious kernel32.dll there
as well, and/or an empty application.exe.local for dll redirection?

/haubi/