Re: 64 bit HEADSUP: Restart of *everything* today

On Mar  5 15:30, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> good news:  Kai finished his first cut (pre-cleanup, pre-code comments)
> version of his medium/large code model patch.  I already generated a
> complete new toolchain and it looks pretty good.  The default code model
> for Cygwin applications is "medium".  This means, external code is
> referenced as usual, external data is referenced via a (pseudo-)GOT
> table similar to ELF files.
> This raises the code size marginally (about 3 to 5%), but it allows to
> access external variables in the entire 64 bit address range without the
> requirement to declare these symbols as dllimport symbols.
>
> While I was at it, I changed Cygwin so that "environ" is now a simple
> external variable.  The 32 bit code is rather convoluted, probably
> because the original implementers couldn't export simple variables
> way back when.
>
> You're asking for the dowside?  Here's the downside:
>
> Our entire micro distro in ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/install
> is for the birds.  Almost no application will run anymore, unless it
> gets rebuilt from scratch with the new toolchain.
>
> Therefore I moved everything to  ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/OLD
> for now.  I will upload new toolchains, dash, tcsh, coreutils etc. during
> this week, parts of it already today, so we can build more packages
> from scratch ASAP.
>
> Ok, that's all folks,

Uh, not quite.  More on the good news front:  BFD, binutils and GDB
patches have gone upstream today.  Only the GCC patches are missing yet,
because we have to wait until new functionality is accepted into the GCC
tree (stage 1).  That's supposed to be end of this month.