Re: Resurrect discussion: Mixing 32 and 64 bit distro

On Feb 12 13:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> I think two distinct distros with no explicit understanding between the
> >> 32-bit and 64-bit is the sanest approach.  I hate the thought of lots of
> >> code in 64-bit Cygwin to specifically deal with 32-bit aps.
> >
> >It's worse.  For a smooth operation you have to take both scenarios into
> >account, 32 bit processes starting 64 bit processes and vice versa.
> >That means, the same special code, just for the opposite target, has to
> >go int the 64 bit and the 32 bit DLL.
>
> I don't recally you suggesting that the 32-bit DLL should somehow be
> modified to understand 64-bit Cygwin.  Ugh.

Well, that's the idea.  If you want the user not to notice what CPU
the executable is running on, you need this in both directions.

Anyway, it's probably not *that* much work.  It's not really a problem
as far as shared memory is concerned, as long as the DLLs are in the
same bin dir.  The real problems are cygheap inheritence in spawn/exec,
the DLL's shared section and a bit of extra stuff in /proc/$PID.

But I'm really not sure if it's worth the complications...