Re: DLL loading

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 02:43:23PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
But...if one were inclined to go that direction, then I like Ryan's
alternate idea of using a dummy "stub" executable -- with no deps other
than cygwin1.dll -- to manage setting up the child's memory map and
.exe.  That way, little changes except inside the cgywin1.dll (I assume
the "stub" exe would be a single, unique exe that cygwin1.dll uses to
manage fork() regardless of the exe of the actual forker or eventual
forkee()/exec().
For the record, the idea of using a dummy stub for fork/exec was first
floated in a Cygwin team meeting at Cygnus more than ten years ago.
What killed it?

Ryan