Re: Executable bit check

On 11/4/2010 5:02 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 03:57 PM, Illia Bobyr wrote:
>> $ ll abc
>> -rw-r--r--+ 1 ibobyr Domain Users Nov 21  4 16:44 abc
> See that +?  That means there are ACLs in play.
>
>> $ test -x abc&&  echo Executable
>> Executable
> Likely, one of those ACLs is still making the file executable.
>
> What does 'getfacl abc' say?

$ getfacl abc
# file: abc
# owner: ibobyr
# group: Domain Users
user::rw-
group::r--
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:r--

>> $ ./abc
>> Hm...
> One other thing to point out.  This will happen on FAT and other
> brain-dead filesystems that lack true execute bits, where chmod -x has
> no effect (since there's no bit to disable), such that cygwin always
> represents the file as executable on those file systems if it has a
> she-bang (well, depending on your mount options).  But given that FAT
> also doesn't support ACLs, it's not the problem you are facing.

I'm on NTFS.  So, it is not that one.
"chmod +x" and "chmod -x" do have visible effect:

$ ll abc
-rw-r--r--+ 1 ibobyr Domain Users Nov 21  4 16:44 abc

$ chmod +x abc

$ ll abc
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 ibobyr Domain Users Nov 21  4 16:44 abc*

$ chmod -x abc

$ ll abc
-rw-r--r--+ 1 ibobyr Domain Users Nov 21  4 16:44 abc

A newly created file is executable even without "chmod +x":

$ echo "echo Hm... =)" > cba

$ ./cba
Hm... =)