Re: Cygwin Filesystem Performance degradation 1.7.5 vs 1.7.7, and methods for improving performance

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 04:30:27PM +0200, Yoni Londner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have prepared a patch with the following changes (I know you guys
>prefer separate patch for each change - I will send multiple patches
>later today):
>
>- caching symlink content (symlink_info::check). If we know that a file
>is a symlink, as long as all it attributes did not change (CreationTime,
>LastWriteTime ChangeTime, AllocationSize and FileAttributes) - then we
>can be sure it is still pointing to the same file. this way we dont need
>to open the file for reading (and read the content)
>
>- caching exec_state (fhandler_base::fstat_helper). as above, there is
>no need to open the file and check the prefix, if we already did that
>earlier.
>
>- reuse QueryInformationFile (fhandler_base::fstat_by_handle). as the
>comment there explain: "If the file has been opened for other purposes
>than stat, we can't rely on the information stored in pc.fnoi". but if
>it is open for stat, we can use the information!
>
>- caching fs_info (fs_info::update): I know there is already caching
>mechanism here, but my solution does not call
>NtQueryVolumeInformationFile even once. (this option is not used by default)
>
>- not using ACL. this option is not used by default. it allows the user
>to decide whether he wants to use ACL or not in runtime.

This is really interesting stuff but I will say it again: I do not like
piling on CYGWIN environment variable options to control this behavior.  If
we do need to go this route then I'd like to standardize on either a
naming convention or maybe a separate option like

set CYGWIN=fsaccess:noacl,file_cache