Re: Cygwin Filesystem Performance degradation 1.7.5 vs 1.7.7, and methods for improving performance

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Derry Shribman wrote:

> Here's a quick guess on what the problem may be:
>
> For network shares (SAMBA), opening any handle, even a non-GENERIC_READ
> handle requires a round-trip to the SAMBA server over the network. This
> could easily be 1ms for LAN (and much much more for WAN). And only after
> you have the handle you can query it. So thats what the "open network
> file information" structures and APIs are: for network shares that the
> additional round-trip for CreateFile/CloseFile makes it slower.

If you folks haven't already seen the information presented here it might
be interesting.  I know I found it useful for coding the applications we
use to move massive amounts of data and numbers of files around.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/1/f2146213-4ac0-4c50-b69a-12428ff0b077/Optimizing_Applications_for_Remote_File_Access_Over_WAN.pptx

--
Brian Ford
Staff Realtime Software Engineer