Re: Accessing native NT namespace as filesystem

On Sep  9 21:50, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 21:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Please have a look.  If nobody finds something terribly wrong, I'll
> > check this in on Monday.
>
>   I noticed that it has some kind of hiccup with SymbolicLink type objects
> when the destination of the link doesn't exist:

Thanks for the hint.  You're still using W2K, right?  Remote desktop is
always installed since Windows XP, so the Session symlink points to
something existing since then.  I tested this now by creating dangling
symlinks in Cygwin itself and the new code should work better now.

> > $ ls -lart /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects/Local
> > lr--r--r-- 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0 2010-09-09 21:46 /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects
> > /Local -> /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects
> >
> > $ ls -lart /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects/Global
> > lr--r--r-- 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0 2010-09-09 21:46 /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects
> > /Global -> /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects
> >
> > $ ls -lart /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects/Session
> > ls: cannot access /proc/sys/BaseNamedObjects/Session: No such file or directory
> >
> > $
>
>   Minor hiccups aside, this is neat!

Thanks!  I'm still mulling over the idea to convert "well-known"
character and block devices, for which we have a dedicated fhandler, to
their respecive device type.  The result would be that for those devices
the correct fhandler is used, for instance:

  /proc/sys/Device/Null            --> FH_NULL  --> fhandler_dev_null
  /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolume2 --> FH_SD    --> fhandler_dev_floppy
  /proc/sys/Device/Tape0           --> FH_NTAPE --> fhandler_dev_tape

But that's a bit tricky right now since devices like FH_SD and FH_NTAPE
rely on their major and minor device numbers denoting a distinct device.

Well, one step at a time.