Re: 1.7.2?

On Mar  9 10:16, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:02:21PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Eric?  Ping?
> >
> >On Mar  4 17:30, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> Ok, I've applied a patch which implements the above rules, as well as
> >> the one suggested by Eric.  The funny thing is that strip still keeps
> >> the .exe suffix when calling `strip foo' on a file "foo.exe", even
> >> though the matching rule in rename has gone.  So it looks like no patch
> >> to strip is required.
> >>
> >> However, a patch to install is still desired because:
> >>
> >>   $ ls foo*
> >>   foo.exe
> >>   $ install foo /bin
> >>   $ ls /bin/foo*
> >>   /bin/foo
> >>   $ rm /bin/foo
> >>   $ install -s foo /bin
> >>   $ ls /bin/foo*
> >>   /bin/foo
> >
> >This is a patch to install(1) which is really missing.  Just now my
> >installation of the latest openssh has gone wrong with the latest Cygwin
> >from CVS.  Here's what the OpenSSH Makefile does:
> >
> >  $(INSTALL) -m 0755 $(STRIP_OPT) ssh $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/ssh
> >  [...]
> >
> >And, btw., it would certainly *not* hurt if strip would get the
> >same patch.  Dave, you volunteered to send a binutils patch upstream?
>
> I thought we didn't need a patch.  I started investigating this when it first
> came up and then dropped it after your last email.

You mean only the strip patch, right?  If so, I still can't quite
believe that it still works after my latest changes to rename(2)
but it really makes sense, given what I see when debugging it.

So, yes, scratch that request for strip.  The previous version of
rename "fixed" the .exe suffix automatically after install has copied
the file to the target directory without an .exe suffix.  Since that's
not desired anymore, it will be a problem now in the aforementioned
install scenario, but that's install's fault in the first place.

The other solution would be to revert my changes to rename, but that
would also revert the problems reported on the Cygwin ML.

> Btw, please hold off on a release.  I forgot to test my shared memory
> synchronization patch last night but, if it works, it should go into
> 1.7.2.  I'll test it tonight when I get home (or sooner if I can
> convince someone at home to turn on my Windows machine).

Sure.  I'm holding off until you tell me you've finished up for 1.7.2.