Re: 1.7.2?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:02:21PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Eric?  Ping?
>
>On Mar  4 17:30, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Ok, I've applied a patch which implements the above rules, as well as
>> the one suggested by Eric.  The funny thing is that strip still keeps
>> the .exe suffix when calling `strip foo' on a file "foo.exe", even
>> though the matching rule in rename has gone.  So it looks like no patch
>> to strip is required.
>>
>> However, a patch to install is still desired because:
>>
>>   $ ls foo*
>>   foo.exe
>>   $ install foo /bin
>>   $ ls /bin/foo*
>>   /bin/foo
>>   $ rm /bin/foo
>>   $ install -s foo /bin
>>   $ ls /bin/foo*
>>   /bin/foo
>
>This is a patch to install(1) which is really missing.  Just now my
>installation of the latest openssh has gone wrong with the latest Cygwin
>from CVS.  Here's what the OpenSSH Makefile does:
>
>  $(INSTALL) -m 0755 $(STRIP_OPT) ssh $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/ssh
>  [...]
>
>And, btw., it would certainly *not* hurt if strip would get the
>same patch.  Dave, you volunteered to send a binutils patch upstream?

I thought we didn't need a patch.  I started investigating this when it first
came up and then dropped it after your last email.

Btw, please hold off on a release.  I forgot to test my shared memory
synchronization patch last night but, if it works, it should go into
1.7.2.  I'll test it tonight when I get home (or sooner if I can
convince someone at home to turn on my Windows machine).