Re: Request for help debugging screen problem

On Feb  5 15:08, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> >Also, unless you have CYGWIN=server set, this code should not be used
> >by the pty handler so I don't know why you're looking here.
>
> The answer to Corinna's question may answer that. The situation is
> that I cannot reattach to a screen session from when logged in via
> ssh  on a Vista or Windows 7 install(which has CYGWIN=server set,
> right? To be honest, I have lost track of my tinkering with
> involving cygserver (which wasn't setup when the problem initially
> presented)). The same sessions can be attached by the same user
> using a desktop mintty session. And in this particular case, the
> user is non-Administrator.
>
>  The message gets clobbered by the screen clear, but if you use
> strace, the error message seen is:
>
>   185   26254 [main] screen 4812 C:\software\cygwin\bin\screen.exe:
> *** fatal error - couldn't initialize fd 0 for /dev/tty2
>
> The issue is almost definitely related to the privilege model on
> these OSes, as as I expected, XP doesn't present with the same
> problem. It also does not present if I ssh into the unlocked
> Administrator account. It of course does present if logged into a
> Administrators grouped user account other than the standard
> Administrator user.

Really?  The user token you're running under should be the elevated
admin token with full admin rights, at least as long as you have
logged in via ssh.  Hmm.  Except, if you have logged in via pubkey
authentication and you're using the user context switch method 1:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd1
In that case I don't know if the hand-crafted user token is really
accepted in terms of mandatory integrity tests, even though the token
contains the integrity SID.

> The strace revealed that the int fhandler_tty_slave::open(int,
> mode_t) called was returning EACCES in this way:
>
>    44   25864 [main] screen 4812 fhandler_tty_slave::open: cannot
> dup handles via server. using old method.

I'm glad to read that.  So it has nothing to do with cygserver.  On the
contrary, is it possible that this works fine if cygserver is running in
this case?

>   116   25980 [main] screen 4812 fhandler_tty_slave::open: can't
> open tty (2) handle process 3748
>    33   26013 [main] screen 4812 seterrno_from_win_error: /cygdrive/z/shaddybaddah.name-projects/cygwin-master.git/winsup/cygwin/fhandler_tty.cc:556
> windows error 5

I assume the original screen pty has been opened by the same user?
In which session type, ssh, local desktop, or remote desktop?

>    29   26042 [main] screen 4812 geterrno_from_win_error: windows
> error 5 == errno 13
>    27   26069 [main] screen 4812 __set_errno: void
> seterrno_from_win_error(const char*, int, DWORD):319 val 13
>   185   26254 [main] screen 4812 C:\software\cygwin\bin\screen.exe:
> *** fatal error - couldn't initialize fd 0 for /dev/tty2
>
> I was hoping to detect what the differences in privileges/tokens???
> between the regular desktop sesssion, and the ssh session are. In
> that way, I was hoping to understand why ReadFile was denying
> access, and see if I could tweak some of the named pipe creation
> flags. This is all very uninformed, but I was hoping to learn along
> the way.

As I mentioned above, this could be related to integrity checking.  If
you're using user context switch method 1, try with method 2 or 3:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd2
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3