Re: general setup.exe status incl network install [was Re: setup ChangeLog IniDBBuilder.h IniDBBuilderPac ...]

On Dec 17 17:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 17 16:11, Dave Korn wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > The question is probably, do we need an unlink-while-you-still-have-an-
> > > open-handle-to-the-file functionality which also works on shares?
> >
> >   Well, if we're going to support installing to a root on a network drive at
> > all, it's not going to run very well without it.
> >
> > > Right now it works like this:  If no recycle bin exists, create it.
> > > Move the file to the bin and set the delete disposition if possible.
> > > Recycle bins only exist on local drives, so shares are out of luck.
> > > Two possible workarounds come to mind:
> > >
> > > - Rename the file to something really terrible within the same dir.
> > >
> > >   - Potential name collisions (need a good algorithm for weird filenames)
> > >   - Disallows to remove the parent dir
> > >   + Simple
> >
> >   This one seems like the best bet.  Can we just reuse mkstemp?
>
> We're on a somewhat lower level using WCHAR pathnames.  Have a look
> into syscalls.cc function try_to_bin().  What we could do is to
> transpose the name into the U+DCxx - U+DFFF low surrogate area for
> a start.

It was easier than I anticipated.  I applied a patch which renames the
files on remote shares according to the above.  It's probably (hopefully)
better than nothing.  The "cannot create temp file for here document"
message should be gone now.  It's at least on my machine.