Re: 1.7.1 release date?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Dec 1 23:53, Thomas Wolff wrote:
* What about the Cygwin.bat LANG setting? The last comment on this
was Andy voting for LANG rather than LC_CTYPE, which I can agree
with; several Linux distributions set LANG by default.
... The common proposal was
LANG=C.UTF-8, so just manifesting explicitly what is the internal
default anyway. I don't think it can be harmful and even if it may
not be necessary for many applications, it may be helpful for some
and thus avoid trouble; also it's the usual thing to do by Linuces
that use UTF-8 as a default.
Yeah, but they don't have it hardcoded in the installer.  As discussed,
we should move the creation of cygwin.bat out of setup.exe soon, and then
we can set LANG.

Even then I would prefer if some package (base-files probably) would
two files:

/etc/profile.d/lang.sh:
export LANG=C.UTF-8
/etc/profile.d/lang.csh:
setenv LANG C.UTF-8
It should be:
LANG=${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-${LANG:-C.UTF-8}}}
in case the user has a customized cygwin.bat with an explicit and different initialization, otherwise settings would get inconsistent at this point.

Or the proper setting could be derived from setlocale(), e.g. using the `locale` command line tool if added to cygwin.

Thomas