Re: 1.7.1 release date?

On Nov 19 10:58, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 04:17:36PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Nov 19 09:04, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >> 1) Any additional functions Eric Blake thinks we should export/add
> >> before 1.7.1 -- as opposed to down the road in 1.7.(N+1).  He seems to
> >> find a new one every week or so.
> >
> >What's your actual concern here?  Can you rephrase a bit?
>
> These are not show stoppers.  In fact, given that we should be in code
> freeze right now, you could make the argument that they shouldn't be going
> in at all since they don't represent regressions.

The sleep change sounds good, but it doesn't look essential, actually.

> We should consider termcap dead at this point.  I don't even have a
> /etc/termcap on my most recent Ubuntu and gentoo systems and I obviously
> haven't missed it.
>
> Currently only tetext claims to still use termcap but I wouldn't be
> surprised to find that was not true.

tcsh uses termcap as well, unfortunately.  The reason is the existence
of libtermcap.a.  tcsh checks for the termcap functions in this order:

libc -> libtermcap -> libcurses -> libncurses.

I tried to argue with the upstream maintainers to prefer the more
modern library, but they argue for the least footprint solution.

However, if we drop the libtermcap.a file from the distro, the next
tcsh will automatically use ncurses.

So, I'm all for getting rid of the termcap package and only keep
some sort of /etc/termcap file...

> So, I wouldn't mind if it was either removed or subsumed by ncurses
> since every linux distro that I know of which still has it seems to
> generate it from infotocap.

...preferredly generated from the info files.

> But, regardless of this detail, I think that 1.7 is ready for prime
> time.  It's arguably better than 1.5 since it actually works on Vista
> and Windows 7.
>
> We also need to do some setup stuff when this goes live.  If we decide to
> do that soon then this weekend would be a really good time for me since
> I'll be stuck at home with nothing else to do.

Sounds good.  Don't hesitate to ask if you need something.  Like, say,
help, for instance.