Re: More: [1.7] packaging problem? Both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ are non-empty

On May 14 10:41, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:24:44PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >I also added a no-op "auto" option to the oopts array so the output of
> >mount -m is just stoically used.  Maybe we should actually tweak mount
> >-m not to emit "auto" mount points instead, but itshould be fine one way
> >or the other.
>
> I did do that to the mount command already:
>
> 	* mount.cc (oopts): Sort.  Add override option.  Add dummy "auto"
>         option for consistency.
>         (mount_entries): Avoid adding auto-mounted entries to -m output.
>
> I guess it should be in the DLL too, for consistency.

Ok, then I just leave it where it is.  It doesn't hurt I guess.

> >However, I have a problem with enforcing the MOUNT_CYGWIN_EXEC flag for
> >/usr/bin.  Not all executables in /usr/bin are cygwin executables.  Even
> >our own strace or cygcheck are no Cygwin binaries, and there are a
> >couple more in the directory.
>
> I fixed that problem a long time ago but if you don't want to do this
> then go ahead and remove it.  FWIW, I have been mounting /bin and
> /usr/bin as cygexec for years.  It should make process creation faster
> and more reliable.

I'm especially concerned about overriding the check for the current
working directory in spawn.cc, line 360ff.  But...

> >	* mount.cc (mount_info::init): Create /usr/bin mount entry
> >	from parent dir of the Cygwin DLL, rather then using the fixed
> >	string "\\bin".  Remove MOUNT_CYGWIN_EXEC option.
>
> Why do we really care about non-default layouts?  With Cygwin 1.5 they
> would have had to set up a specific mount entry.  Why should 1.7 be any
> different?  I think it's as likely that someone would want to have be
> /bin point to the actual bin directory one level up from cygwin DLL as
> it is that they'd want it to be exactly where the Cygwin DLL is
> installed.

...maybe I'm just overreacting currently.  This release makes me nervous
right now.  I tested the patch and it works fine.  However, If you think
this is nothing we should really worry about, we can keep it as it is.