Re: More: [1.7] packaging problem? Both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ are non-empty

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:24:44PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Yes.  Trivial change.
>
>I just applied a small patch.  The root dir got the MOUNT_OVERRIDE flag
>instead of the MOUNT_IMMUTABLE flag.  This looked like a typo.  Without
>this patch, you can override / without the "override" flag.

Oops.  Thanks for catching that.

>I also added a no-op "auto" option to the oopts array so the output of
>mount -m is just stoically used.  Maybe we should actually tweak mount
>-m not to emit "auto" mount points instead, but itshould be fine one way
>or the other.

I did do that to the mount command already:

	* mount.cc (oopts): Sort.  Add override option.  Add dummy "auto"
        option for consistency.
        (mount_entries): Avoid adding auto-mounted entries to -m output.

I guess it should be in the DLL too, for consistency.

>However, I have a problem with enforcing the MOUNT_CYGWIN_EXEC flag for
>/usr/bin.  Not all executables in /usr/bin are cygwin executables.  Even
>our own strace or cygcheck are no Cygwin binaries, and there are a
>couple more in the directory.

I fixed that problem a long time ago but if you don't want to do this
then go ahead and remove it.  FWIW, I have been mounting /bin and
/usr/bin as cygexec for years.  It should make process creation faster
and more reliable.

>And something else occured to me.  Isn't it too simple to create the
>/usr/bin entry like this?
>
>  char *p = stpcpy (native, mount[root_idx].native_path);
>  stpcpy (p, "\\bin");
>  mount_table->add_item (native, "/usr/bin", MOUNT_SYSTEM...);
>
>This works for a default installation, but what if Cygwin has *not* been
>installed in a directory called "bin"?  Isn't the idea of /usr/bin to
>point to the directory in which the Cygwin DLL itself is installed,
>rather than blindly pointing to ${native_root}\bin?  So, shouldn't we
>create the default /usr/bin entry more along the lines of the following
>patch?
>
>	* mount.cc (mount_info::init): Create /usr/bin mount entry
>	from parent dir of the Cygwin DLL, rather then using the fixed
>	string "\\bin".  Remove MOUNT_CYGWIN_EXEC option.

Why do we really care about non-default layouts?  With Cygwin 1.5 they
would have had to set up a specific mount entry.  Why should 1.7 be any
different?  I think it's as likely that someone would want to have be
/bin point to the actual bin directory one level up from cygwin DLL as
it is that they'd want it to be exactly where the Cygwin DLL is
installed.