Re: setup/mkpasswd and HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH

On May  5 13:29, Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) wrote:
> On 05/05/2009, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Opinions?  Cool, Blerch, Shrug?
>
> Cool. :-)

Ok :)

> I definitely think there's merit in aligning the mkpasswd and /etc/profile
> logic, especially given Vista et al's behavior in its "HOME" directory.

Of course there's another logic in mkpasswd if you use the -l or -d
options.  In these cases the homedir comes from the SAM or AD entry of
the user if it's non-empty, /home/$USER otherwise.  The -c option is
different because it's supposed to work without asking the AD
controller.  Obviously the -l/-d options never use HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
since they are not supposed to check for the current user.
Getting rid of HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH only rectifies the -c case.

> Don't we still need '/' as the ultamite default in '/etc/profile'
> in case all others couldn't be accessed for some reason?

Explain "couldn't be accessed".  The default case of /home/$USER
doesn't exist when a user starts bash for the first time.  So it
isn't "accessible", but /etc/profile will create the directory.

> Eliminating $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH will tell us how many people use this and
> give us an opportunity to point to the FAQ entry explaining why this is a
> bad idea.  The entry probably needs to explain how get the bullet to do
> this anyway though in case people are insistent on or otherwise content to
> shoot themselves in the foot. ;-)

Yeah, the FAQ is a moving target anyway :)