Re: More: [1.7] packaging problem? Both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ are non-empty

Quoting Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:

On May 5 18:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On May  5 15:43, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:
>

>> What do others think of this idea?
>>

> In MSYS I auto-mount /usr to the same directory as /.  There are very
> little complaints about it.  If you allow entries in /etc/fstab to
> override the default then you can have your cake and eat it too. ;)

/etc/fstab overwrites the default entries already, so, if we do that, it
would really just be adding the entries.

...but here's the problem. Consider these default entries:

  C:/cygwin /
  C:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
  C:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib

And /etc/fstab only consists of a single line:

X:/cygwin-1.7 /

then, after reading /etc/fstab we have the end result:

  X:/cygwin-1.7 /
  C:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
  C:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib

That looks somewhat fragile, doesn't it?

I would make / permanent; i.e. unchangeable by the user. Any mounts in /etc/fstab to / are just discarded. For MSYS the root / is always the parent directory of the directory containing the dll and the directory containing the dll is always /bin.

--
Earnie