Re: findutils support in 1.7.0

On Jun 30 18:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On May 16 16:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > Just FYI, I reported this behaviour including a simple testcase(TM)
> > > into the newsgroup microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel but got
> > > the reply I should better open a support case:
> > >
> > >   http://tinyurl.com/49pgzw
> > >
> > > I opened a support case today.  Now I'm just curious if this will
> > > get a fix or not :)
> >
> > One week later I got the exciting message that the problem can be
> > reproduced...
>
> Case closed.  No fix.  The guys at Microsoft responsible for the file
> system are of the opinion that the bad timing behaviour is the result
> of a natural evolution of the filing system over time, and not actually
> a bug.

While venting about the Microsoft Support in the main list it occured to
me that I never followed up on the quadrratic timing behaviour case
on this list.

After a short discussion on the aforementioend newsgroup, the guys there
convinced me that it might be worth to reopen the case and to dispute
the result.  So I reopened the case and complained and argued again.
Only two months later (while I was on vacation) I got a response from
the escalation engineer.  It was very disappointing.  I got a lecture on
correct testing (don't use VMs, etc).  I got told I should switch off
8.3 filename generation (but not how to do that) and I got again told
that this problem is by design and won't be fixed.

I complained again and last week I had a call with a Microsoft guy from
the business relations department.  There's no chance for a fix at all
because there exists a workaround.  That made me curious of course.

So, here's the official workaround for the quadratic timing problem in
long path name access on Windows 2000/XP and Server 2003.

Hold your breath, here we go...

  .

  .

  .