Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Why do we need a fstab.$SID and linux doesn't need this?

Well, I like to create user mounts for each user (Guest, Administrator, me) like this:

mount -f -u -b "C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents" "/mydocs"
mount -f -u -b "C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Desktop" "/desktop"

mainly for convenience, but also because spaces and the command line don't mix well. Linux doesn't have to deal with asinine decisions made in Redmond, WA...from a hidden microphone in 1995: "LOOK! We can support spaces in filenames as well as filenames longer than 8.3, so let's use them EVERYWHERE! Spaces for EVERYBODY! Really long and hard to type system paths, like 'Documents and Settings'! Whoo-pee!! Steve Jobs has got nuthin' on us!"

I realize that on (clean-install, non-upgrade) Vista, this is less of an issue, because the "new" paths are

mount -f -u -b "C:/Users/<user>/Documents" "/mydocs"
mount -f -u -b "C:/Users/<user>/Desktop" "/desktop"

but XP and 2k aren't going anywhere for a long long time, if even one of the horror stories I've read about Vista are true...

--
Chuck