fhandler_console.c refresh?

I'm thinking of modifying fhandler_console.c, to make the mouse support, clipboard support
and perhaps some other things a lot more like xterm.  Possibly this is optional for backwards
compatibility: maybe there's a CYGWIN environment variable option for it.  The idea is to
make UNIX programs (particularly, my text editor JOE, but many other programs such as
'mc') work fully in CMD console windows.  Basically, I'd much prefer to do this than make a
win32 port of JOE.

What do think?  I'm sure that this has been a topic of discussion in the past, so I'm wondering
how receptive people are to changes to the terminal emulator's behavior.