RFC: Enabling positional args for printf & friends

Hi all,

Last year, about this time, Jeff J. implemented "optional" positional argument support for the printf() family [1] and enabled it on x86-linux by default (thus, it is disabled for all other platforms by default). Enabling this support would bring our printf more in line with the UNIX98 standard as well as making it more compatible with a multitude of other libc's (including glibc). FWICT, enabling it does not adversely affect performance in any noticeable manner, so I assume the "optional" nature of this support was mainly intended for embedded folk. Of course my observations are highly subjective and unscientific, so YMMV. However, as one of our goals is being standards compliant (as is feasible), I should think that enabling this would be beneficial to the Cygwin project. Also, it should, in certain cases, eliminate the need to use package-provided printf libraries (like trio, snprintfv, etc.) when building those packages which rely on extended printf functionality.

I have a very simple patch to newlib's configure.hosts which adds "-DWANT_IO_POS_ARGS" to the existing cflags list for Cygwin. Thoughts? Concerns? Objections? Flames?

Cheers,
Nicholas

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/ml/newlib/2002/msg00392.html