Re: Problems with Xemacs

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:34:15AM +0200, Thomas Pfaff wrote:
> >Some users recently reported problems with xemacs and subprocesses.
> >I had some problems too (mostly clipboard related) that went away after
> >i disabled the CreateWindowStation stuff in fhandler_tty (by setting
> >pty_needs_alloc_console to false for all windows versions).
> >
> >It might help to make this configurable via CYGWIN env var.
>
> Why would we make this configurable rather than actually FIGURING OUT
> what the problem is?

Here are some related speculations, none of them validated in any way
- opening a window station is only needed when running as a service.
  MS may not handle correctly the case where we are at the console.
- cygwin does not specify the name of the station, it uses the default
  which uses the logon session identifier. I think that all users of
  the same service (e.g. inetd) get the same station.
  For example when I telnet in twice, both instances see the same
  clipboard, different from the console clipboard.
- so it may be better to only create a window station when opening the
  *master* ptty when running as a service (the process is then in the Admins
  group), and to specify a unique name.

Pierre

P.S.: I saw the recent ChangeLog
 (shared_info::initialize): Don't initialize user stuff if myself doesn't exit.
 and have been scratching my head about why it's helpful.