Re: sub msec sleep/timers

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> At 01:59 PM 9/18/2003 -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
> >Pierre, are you or anyone else planning on enhancing
> >nanosleep/usleep/itimer functions, etc. to sub msec accuracy?
>
> Brian,
>
> I have an implementation with 1 ms resolution using the multimedia
> timer (available on all platforms). It works fine on NT but I belatedly
> discovered that the max delay is 64k ms on Win9x, so more work is
> still required there.
> If you go ahead with WaitableTimers I will stop my efforts, so let
> us know.

Well, I may still go ahead with WaitableTimers, but given my schedule,
Windows/Cygwin programming experience, and current lack of assignment form
on file, I certainly wouldn't want to hold up any enhancements/bug fixes
you have in the wings.

> You may want to check the effective resolution of such timers.
> It's not because they measure time in 100ns units that they have
> 100ns resolution.

Yes, I know.

Waitable timers do seem to get tick rate accuracy in my tests so far on
XP/2k/NT.  On 98, I think the same is true, but scheduling accuracy in
general seems to be all over the board.  Have you seen this too?

They might be available on 95 too.  The MS documentation is not
clear to me and I don't have any 95 boxes to test on.

I have no idea yet what the max sleep time is with them.  What do we need?

> For example the current timer measures time in ms > but has 10 ms
> resolution on NT, more on 9X.

Really?  I get much better response than that with nanosleep on NT and 98.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer