Re: Windows 2003

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:43:54PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:18:25PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> > > Corinna,
> > >
> > > judging from your recent post on the list you have new
> > > info on the Create Token privilege of SYSTEM on 2003.
> >
> > That's info from a MS newsgroup.  I've tested on a 2003 Server and it
> > turns out that processes started from cygrunsrv under system account
> > have no CreateToekn permission in their access token.
> >
> > > If I understand it correctly, the only way out is to
> > > run under a new privileged account. Correct?
> >
> > When using NTCreateToken, I guess the answer is yes.
> >
> > > Should we introduce some means to determine if a
> > > process can setuid, e.g. a new value for cygwin_internal(),
> > > checking membership in Admins and having enough
> > > privileges?
> >
> > Not yet.  First it should work *at all*.  I've created an account with
> > all necessary rights including createtoken.  I've checked that services
> > started under that account still have createtoken in their access token.
> > I've tried running sshd from the command line as well as as service.
> > I couldn't start any application when switching user context using
> > createtoken.  The context switch is done and then CreateProcess fails
> > with error 3: "The system cannot find the path specified."  I've
> > checked all permissions, I've set all permissions to 777, to no avail.
> > I'm not able to start *any* application.  This is most frustrating.
>
> Sorry, I got that wrong:  Even using password authentication the
> CreateProcess(C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe,...) fails.  Urgh!

I just reread the CreateProcessAsUser page. We do a RevertToSelf, so
we access the executable image in the security context of the caller.
Accessing C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe isn't the issue, the error message
must be about some other path...

Have a look at http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-06/msg00500.html
ssh with password authentication worked (top of message).
Strangely (middle of the message) he was unable to do a passwordless
"telnet system", although no token creation takes place there.

I am still hopeful it's something simple...

Pierre