Re: Added some interesting functionality to my cygwin sandbox

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >Isn't the new way of coding special characters also a way to represent
> > >a cygdrive by using an otherwise non-existing %xx expression?  E.g. using
> > >just one character after the percent like
> > >
> > >    %c/c/foo
> > >
> > >or otherwise not used characters like uppercase
> > >
> > >    %CD/d/bar
> > >
> > >for instance?
> >
> > That's an interesting idea.  It would only work on "posix" mounted
> > directories, though.
> >
> > cgf
>
> Here's another idea: the shortcuts already contain the Win32 path to the
> file.  Instead of redundantly repeating that path in the comment field of
> the shortcut in place of the POSIX path, we could use an empty comment
> field to indicate that the Win32 path should be used (does anyone know if
> it's legal to create a symlink to an empty path on Unix?).

I don't think so. That'd just be a dead symlink. But as we're trying to get
around a problem with cymlink destinations how about having an internal name
like the cygdrive prefix? That way we could guarentee that it would point to the
correct location.

Elfyn