Re: Cygdaemon - planning

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 05:24:48AM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>>For now, I've added a USE_CYGSERVER conditional which is turned off by
>>default.  I've also added a --enable-server option to both the top
>>level and the cygwin directory.  From the top level this controls
>>whether stuff in the cygserver directory will be built or not.  From
>>the cygwin directory it controls whether cygserver support will be
>>built into the DLL.  This option is off by default.
>
>I was going to suggest similar.  Like on by default and with a
>`--disable-server' option.  ;-)

It wouldn't make much sense to turn it on now because it would currently
cause compilation errors.

>>I was wondering if it would make sense for the DLL to autoimport
>>whatever it needs from cygserver.exe rather than build functionality
>>into cygwin1.dll?  I think that I would have to release a new version
>>of binutils which allows this, since autoimporting from a DLL wasn't
>>allowed in binutils into lately, but it seems like a fairly nice way of
>>localizing all of the cygserver functionality in cygserver itself.  If
>>cygserver wasn't somewhere in the path, cygwin1.dll wouldn't use it.
>>Otherwise, it would, when the CYGWIN option was set.
>
>That would be cool, but if you haven't got the time, maybe we can just
>make it something to work towards.

I'll probably play with this over the upcoming long US weekend.  We have
to do something because it is broken now.  You could get something
working by adding the appropriate objects back in but I think I'd rather
spend some time separating the DLL and server a little more elegantly
than that.

>> I haven't 'cvs remove'd any of the cygserver files yet but I will do
>> that in the next couple of days.  I'm sure I will find that cygserver
>> fails to build at that point...
>
>Thanks for doing this.

I am the one who should be thanking you.

I hope we'll have something nice in cygserver for 1.5.1 or 1.5.2.  If
nothing else I can just imagine the whole new class of cygwin mailing
list complaints.  :-)