Re: exec after seteuid

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 09:40:44AM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Corinna,
>
> I was thinking about the seteuid question on the list.
> It seems to me that we can easily handle the simple case,
> where only the euid has changed, the real uid is still
> the original uid. Basically it's like the fork case.
>
> Here is a candidate patch. I don't want to start sinking
> test time before you have a chance to tell me it won't work,
> or improve it.

No, that's an interesting idea.  I would appreciate some testing.

> If both uids have changed, then we need to build two
> tokens. That's a big job.

But that isn't very likely, right?  Most setuid applications are
either changing the uid for a quick job or they switch over
entirely to ruid == euid for their unprivileged child processes.
Do you think it's worth to consider such a border case?

Red Hat, Inc.