pipe replacement w/o TerminateThread

Christopher, I'm coding up an example for you, but I see two basic ways
of doing this:

1. Toss CreatePipe() and implement pipes with shared memory and semaphores.

2. Use CreatePipe() but buffer data outside of the pipe, using a reader
   thread so the pipe never blocks.

I am implementing a class that does 2) for example purposes.  The first
approach is probably a better one, but involves heavier fork() magic.
--
Joe Buehler