Re: Bump version to 1.5.0

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 07:24:35AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > I can also see the possibility for 32/64 bit versions for each new
> > release with 32bit versions using libcygwin1.a while 64bit versions
> > using libcygwin2.a.  An arbitrary date would be set to remove support
> > for a 32bit versions.

That's the whole idea.  Since old and new apps should still work
together (e.g. share a common process table) the real work still
should be done by the cygwin dll which is then called cygwin2.dll.
All 32/64 apps directly call cygwin2.dll.

cygwin1.dll is the DLL which consists enirely of entry points for
the old 16/32 apps but with no real functionality except for
converting datatypes and calling the appropriate function in
cygwin2.dll.  There wouldn't even be a need to remove support for
16/32 apps since cygwin1.dll is not a big deal to maintain when
it's finished.

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.