Re: True case-sensitive filenames

Gerald S. Williams wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:

It just seemed like it was really prone to causing massive user
confusion for, IMO, little gain.

I understand you're walking a fine line between offering
true POSIX compatibility for Unix-types and getting beat
up with questions from people on the Windows side of the
house.

For me the gain is being able to port a project that uses
case to distinguish C implementations from C++ wrappers,
implementation from examples, etc. Currently, you can't
even untar such a project very easily. I'd really like to
be able to apply a simple patch file if needed (or better
yet, get any Cygwin changes merged into the project). But
this isn't practical if the project contains files that
are unrecognizable/unavailable to Cygwin.

IMNSHO, the problem is with the project that uses files that differ only in case. It's not portable, and if the project wishes portability, then the practice must stop. I urge you to raise an argument with the package maintainers accompanied with a patch. Changing Cygwin to handle the problem isn't going to cause these problems to disappear as not all environments will support it.

Earnie.