Re: readv/writev

"Corinna Vinschen" <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 03:20:00PM +0100, Conrad Scott wrote:
> >
> > At the coal-face it ends up being a bit more messy than that.
For
> > example, the fhandler::read code checks the readahead buffers
for
> > pending data but they will always be empty in binary-mode
(AFAIK)
> > . In fact there's a page of code before the check for whether
> > binary read is being done and only then does the code escape
back
> > to the caller.  Since (AFAIK) you can't change the text/binary
> > mode of an fd once it's been opened (and thus the readahead
>
> You can.  setmode(fd, O_TEXT); or setmode(fd, O_BINARY);

Sorry: I'd missed that in my meanderings about the source.  Thanks
for the pointer.

And as for my comments about the readahead buffer in text-mode
handling: well, I was only thinking about "fast" devices; you
couldn't just flush the readahead in general.  Even if the
text-mode support were removed from fhandler_serial, as Chris
suggested, there're still pipes to worry about.

So, I'll go and worry about something else instead :-)

// Conrad