Re: Slowdown

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 06:31:41PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> At 09:57 AM 6/29/2002 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >I think it's most sane to
> >
> >- Look for $HOME
> >- Try /etc/passwd
> >- Look for HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
> >- Lookup on the server
> >- Give up, aka use HOME=/home/$username
>
> It's your baby, and you are a very good mother! What does
> linux do if you don't have HOME or home in /etc/passwd ?

Linux sessions always start with a login which always looks
into /etc/passwd.  If a home isn't given in /etc/passwd you get
a warning roughly like "No home dir.  Start in /" or so.  Then
it sets HOME to "/".

However, Linux is different in that you never start a session
w/o further login.  In contrast to Cygwin which is basically
most of the time running in local console window sessions.

We have to considerate the differences so the above is still
sane to me.  We could change the last point to HOME=/ as on
Linux.

What's implemented in cygheap_user::ontherange() currently is
for HOME:

- If in evironment, done.
- Else ask /etc/passwd
- Else use environemt vars HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH.

The server is only asked for getting HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH and
the values are never used to set the environment or to
evaluate HOME.  So if HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH are missing in the
environment, getting the values from the server doesn't help
for setting HOME.  Or do I miss something?

Red Hat, Inc.