Re: Slowdown

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:16:39PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
> [redirecting to cygwin-developers from a private discussion]
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:40:59PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >If on entering from Windows a user doesn't have HOME defined and
> >doesn't have a home in passwd, and doesn't have HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH,
> >then let's set HOME to some sane value such as WINDIR or c:\,
> >rather than risking a lookup. The user will eventually run mkpasswd...
>
> Really?  That's a departure from the way things used to work, isn't it?
> Don't you think there will be complaints?
>
> Corinna?

I'm just somewhat confused how that should happen at all when starting
the session in a local console window.  It could be possible to have a
HOMEPATH only and not a HOMEDRIVE and in that case we shouldn't need a
lookup., that's ok.  The only way I can think of that HOMEPATH *and*
HOMEDRIVE are missing is by accidentally (or sportively) user intervention.
In that case both perspectives are valid, either Cygwin should try its
best (lookup) or the user gets what she brought onto herself (no lookup).

I think it's most sane to

- Look for $HOME
- Try /etc/passwd
- Look for HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH