RE: System-wide mutexes and pthreads

Well, something equivalent is. It's still getting worked on to be more
loosely coupled. The actual thread you are referring to was on a
different program that setup, but yes I do recall it. The goal with
setup is to produce a library that cygcheck can use to sanity check the
install, that encapsulates the program logic of setup. (i.e. package
listings, installed files, etc etc etc). This is also underway, although
I imagine that Chris will have a small hernia when I ask for cygcheck to
use the STL.

> Anyway, I lost track of what happened with this proposal.  Was it
> decided that this was a bad idea, and that
>    setup
>    rebase
>    strace
>    cygcheck
> should all continue to duplicate cygwin-like path translation
> independently, or did the idea just fizzle for lack of volunteers?

Fizzled... Work on setup modularisation progress nicely given the list
of TODO's. Work on the idea of a specific library (which as I mention
above, was not targeted at cygcheck or setup) for mount point
understanding fizzled.

Rob