Re: strace.active

Hi!

Friday, 18 January, 2002 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:

EB> Robert Collins wrote:
>> Look in utils/strace.cc - search for _STRACE_INTERFACE_ACTIVATE_ADDR.

EB> But, strace.active isn't set in utils/strace.cc.  I can see that
EB> DEBUG_PROCESS is set in the CreateProcess flags for the create_child
EB> function and I can imagine that this controls the strace.active value
EB> but I don't see how strace.active is set in the cygwin1.dll.

it's set from strace.cc just like Rob said.

every cygwin application, when started, sends special debugging event,
which contains an address of strace.active variable (see pinfo.cc,
function set_myself ()). it looks like 'cYgFFFFFFFF 60012345'.
strace catches it, decodes it and sets strace.active value via
WriteProcessMemory in handle_output_debug_string ().

time to write how-strace-works.txt, heh? :)