RE: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

Ahh, touch /t
run prog that mmaps to /t
will conflict unless the named objects are created using win32 paths as
their basis. And for canonical behaviour using the unix path makes sense
to me.

> I'd want to provide a mechanism for someone to isolate one cygwin
> release from another (which is probably something that I
> vowed I'd never
> do, actually).  But, I don't want it to be too intrusive.
>
> shm ids could be handled by changing the seeding of ftok(), though.

Errm, yes. So ftok() needs changing to accomodate this.

> >>cygjail maybe?  cygisland?  cygme?
> >
> >cygme with your coding trick?  (aplogies to Ian Dury).
>
> Don't know the reference, sorry.

"Hit me with your rhythm stick", - search for Ian Dury and the
Blockheads. I'm pretty sure you will recognise it if you hear it.

> >I like isolate, it's pretty clear, and shouldn't create
> mental conflict
> >with 'jail' or 'chroot'.  Also, howabout 'cygvirtual' or
> 'cygalternate'
> >?
> >
> >Or even 'cygXP :}'.
> >
> >mycyg might be another one.
>
> Maybe.  I don't like the prefix 'cyg' much but it does help reduce
> namespace pollution if we call all of the unique cygwin utilities
> cygsomething -- even if we strayed from that naming in the past.

cygmycyg ?

Rob