Re: 1.3.4 status?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: 1.3.4 status?

> It is possible that a function would call __chkstk when it needed to
> allocate space beyond a certain limit.  Not every function begins with
> call to __chkstk/alloca, though.

objdump shows a large number of calls to __chkstk - particularly in
functions using inline variables that are large. My 2c is that somewhere
in gcc there is a heuristic that says "over size x variables get
alloca'd". Now, AFAIK for i386 - win32 that doesn't make much sense -
with the exception of variables nested deep into a if/case statement
which are large && only one path is ever traversed per function call. In
that scenario it will save stack space. It'd be neat to test with it
turned off though. I wonder if there is a gcc option to do that?

Rob