Re: Silly ACL problems [Was: Re: Problems with autoconf-2.52 testsuite using current CVS Cygwin]

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 03:23:30PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Well, it looks like the script below DOES cause some problems.  I just
> installed the new ash and binutils packages using setup.  However:  I
> can't execute them.
>
> Here's the ACL for /bin (prior to running setup to install the new ash)
>
> # file: bin
> # owner: 500
> # group: 513
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> mask::rwx
> other::r-x
> default::mask::---
>
> After installing ash (as Administrator), the ACL for sh.exe:
>
> # file: sh.exe
> # owner: 544
> # group: 513
> user::rwx
> group::---
> group:18:rwx
> mask::---
> other::---
>
> I can fix this (by hand, after logging BACK in as Administrator), but
> what went wrong?

Nothing, I think. Setup is a non-Cygwin tool so it has nothing
to do with ntsec. Since the ACL of /bin doesn't inherit it's
permissions, newly created files get a default DACL which is
identical to what you see above if your account has admin privs.

This reminds me that setting the default DACL could be a useful
extension to the create_token() code...

Red Hat, Inc.